- 5BX Exercise 1 for 2 minutes: Keep your feet apart and arms upward. Clasp your hands and keep your arms straight. Bend forwards to the floor, touch the floor 6 inches outside left foot, then between feet, and then 6 inches outside right foot. Then stretch upwards and bend backwards as far as possible. Return to the erect position. Repeat this action and reverse direction after half the number of counts. Do not strain to keep your knees straight. Keep your arms above your head and make a full circle, bending backward past vertical each time.
- 5BX Exercise 2 for 1 minute: Lie on your back with your feet together. Keep your hands clasped behind head and your legs straight. Keep your arms straight over your head on the floor. Sit up and raise your legs in a bent position and at the same time twist your body so that your right elbow touches the left knee. This completes one movement. Then do the same twisting to the opposite side. Keep alternating the direction of twist each time. Keep your feet off the floor when your elbow touches each knee.
- 5BX Exercise 3 for 1 minute: Lie on your front with your arms extended overhead. Raise your arms, head, shoulders, arms, chest and both legs as high as possible. Keep your legs and arms straight, chest and both thighs completely off the floor.
- 5BX Exercise 4 for 1 minute: Lie on your front, keep your keep your hands under your shoulder, palms flat on the floor, approximately 1 foot from ears directly to side of head. Push off the floor and clap your hands before returning to the starting position. Keep you body straight during the entire movement. Make sure you can hear your hands clap.
- 5BX Exercise 5 for 6 minutes: Stationary run and semi-spread eagle jumps: here you will be running on a spot without moving forward. After every 75 steps do 10 “semi-spread eagle jumps”.
- Stationary run: Count a step each time your left foot touches the floor. Lift your knees waist high. Repeat this sequence until your complete the required number of steps.
- Semi-spread eagle jumps: Keep your feet together, drop to a half-crouch position with hands on knees and arms straight. Jump up to a position where your feet are apart and swing your arms overhead in mid-air. Make sure you raise your hands above head level. Spread your feet at least shoulder width apart in the astride position before landing with feet together. Return directly to the half crouch position and repeat.
The table below shows how to gradually progress through the exercises. Start at Level D- or if this is too easy for you from level C-. Repeat each exercise for the stated number of times within the time limits mentioned above. As the days go by, you will be able to complete more repetitions of each exercise within the time limits. Then you can progress up the chart. Once you are comfortable doing exercises at the A+ level, you can progress to the next chart.
If you are unable to do Exercise 5, there are 2 alternative options listed in the last 2 columns: you can either walk or run. Do either one of these options in the time stated.